Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Long Beach
If you just bought your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and your family. You’re likely considering the ways you should individualize your residence with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too far, make certain you consider home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about safeguarded should always be a leading priority, and we’ll show you how with these safety tips for new homeowners in Long Beach.
Perform a safety audit of your new Long Beach property
Now that safety is front and center, see what your new home already has. To start, make sure you have operational fire alarms. Test each one and switch out batteries if necessary. Are there carbon monoxide detectors? Did you find a water sensor downstairs? This is also an excellent time to upgrade door locks and inspect all locks on windows. Go through every space and get familiar with your new house.
Smart security tips for your Long Beach home
Once you’ve finished your initial inspection of safety alarms and locks, you may think about elevating your property’s defense. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Long Beach.
- Opt for a modern home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Long Beach can do is install a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your property even when you’re not there. You are able to scan up-to-the-second video footage, operate entry locks, and even speak with people at your door right from your cell phone. You can even personalize your defense with incredible security measures such as video cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your outdoor lights. Exterior lights with motion detection are an effective approach in dissuading possible intruders. You can even use them in conjunction with outdoor cameras. The activating of a motion sensor can tell your outdoor camera to begin recording.
- Keep your property maintained. Do you have a clear sightline of your property from inside? Are there oversized trees and bushes impeeding the view? Eliminate possible areas to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Make friends with people on your street. Speaking of your neighbors, get to know them. If you know people close to you, there’s a greater probability they’ll advise you if they discern suspicious behavior. You can also join your community’s social media presence if one is available.
- Utilize home automation. If you opt for an innovative smart home, you can make it appear like you’re home by illuminating smart light bulbs at predetermined moments. This is a fantastic feature when you’re not there.